Great new how-to video on better birding...

My collegues at the Cornell Lab of Ornithology have been working on an educational online video series called "Inside Birding."  These videos take people step-by-step through learning to identify birds, and they're good for kids or adults.  Whether you are new to birdwatching and want to get better, or an experienced birder ready to take on new bird ID challenges, or simply someone who wants to learn a little more about the birds you notice in your neighborhood, I think you will learn something!

In this episode, my friends Chris and Jessie teach you the most fundamental skill for identifying birds – recognizing them by size and shape. Join them "in the field" to practice these techniques on common birds and learn how to distinguish similar species such as Hairy and Downy Woodpeckers.

Five years ago, I knew very little about identifying birds-- but using tips like the ones Jessie and Chris recommend (and a bit of practice) has made me more able to identify the birds I see.  Better yet... I simply NOTICE birds more.  And that's really the fun part for me!

I hope you'll enjoy this video, and maybe choose to get outside today and see what birds you see!

Happy birding,
Jen
0 Responses