Geese in a "V"

As I've learned more about birds through developing the BirdSleuth curriculum, I simply notice birds more, and they've become more a part of my everyday life.  For example, I like changing seasons (I think it would be hard for me to live in a place that didn't have a fall with red-orange-yellow leaves, a blustery winter, a spring green, and a baking-hot summer).  This fall, I've noticed the leaves changing as I usually do, but this year, the seasonal change has also been marked by me noticing the change in birds and their behavior.

Some birds are flocking... others are flying south.  The species I see out the window are different than they were two months ago. There's a different sound to fall--the singing of the summer is gone, and now I am noticing little "chips" and loud geese honks. Ever since I heard this radio boadcast, I can't stop noticing geese flying in a "V" and noticing the big flocks of blackbirds and starlings who are not flying in neat alphabet-shapes.

Birds provide a neat way to connect kids to science and other subjects.  Birds can be used to teach about everything from seasonal change to physics (flight, sound, color) to math (bird counts, population changes) to biology (habitat, conservation, diversity) to...hmmm... it seems endless!  Can you give any of the content you're teaching a "bird's eye view"? 
0 Responses